Search This Blog

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Number 2 (June 2005)


Select abstracts

"Stratford in the 1880s". Extract from the published work of the same name, written by Dr Arthur South. Deals with naming of Stratford from the "Straight Ford" and the "Slanting Ford" (Weir's Crossing). General reminiscences. (pp3-6)

Reproduction photograph of Stratford Mechanics' Institute c.1910 (page 7)

"Members Story: From Umbrellas to Lollies". Story of Molly MAGUIRE nee HAWKINS, who arrived in Australia c.1926. She lived with her family in Ivanhoe, while her father was a gardener at the Fitroy Gardens. On leaving school she went to work for Grant Barnett and Co, umbrella manufacturers. Aged 23 she arrived in Stratford in 1947 to help set up the company's umbrella factory. She boarded with Miss Alice Mitchell. Discusses factory operation, and her later married life in Stratford. (pp8-11)



No comments:

Post a Comment